Monday, July 16, 2012

Salmon For Days


But really.
When I went crazy at the grocery store the other day (again, probably due to too much MasterChef watching) I bought 2 salmon fillets.
What she order? 2 big ass Fish Fillets.
Why? I honestly don't know what I was thinking at the time (other than singing Kanye)-
I live by myself and definitely do not eat more than 1/2 a fillet a meal.
Alas, it's just made me get super creative with my salmon cooking.

Tonight I was feeling something tangy with a lil bit o' heat to it.
I figured I'd make a Salmon Puttanesca (my favorite Italian sauce). But I wanted the salmon to actually be flavored with the sauce instead of just adding it overtop (just caught myself writing that but i'll leave it. Take it as a gesture to all my Virginian friends who think "overtop" or "on accident" make sense).

So I olive oil-ed the salmon, added some salt and lemon pepper, splash of garlic powder as usual and place it on a sheet of foil. Then I added chopped cherry tomatos, kalamata olives, capers, olives, splash it with some lemon, sprinkled red pepper flakes and rolled up the little treat. I put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 25 mins and the s--t was on point!

Then I figured I needed some type of carb to go with it (because everything needs a side of carboHYDRATE or else we'd all be dehydrated. duh) so I made some quinoa.

But I was bored with the pairing so as the salmon cooked I toasted some fennel seeds (i suddenly had a craving for fennel but i wasn't about to go back to the crazy lady at Stop & Shop).

I put those aside and sauteed some garlic in olive oil, then threw in some frisée (the literally FRIZZY greens you avoid in your everyday bag o' salad). I never eat the frisée in my salad mix so I thought I'd see what it tasted like sauteed in my favorite butter of garlic and oil.
Then I put it all together: first the quinoa (add tabasco if you're a real person who likes flavor), then the frisée, top with the toasted fennel seeds and red pepper flakes, pile the mound high with all the goodness wrapped in the foil and if you don't know, NOW YA KNOW PLAYA.
:)







"As you lift the fish, make love to it, 
don’t fuck it."
                                                 -Gordon Ramsay


No comments:

Post a Comment